Nonfat, plain Greek yogurt has become a must-have item in my refrigerator. I use it in so many recipes. Plain Greek yogurt tastes very similar to sour cream, but includes the added benefit of live and active cultures that aid in digestion (and weight loss!).
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase through one of these links, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
First, let’s take a look at the differences between regular yogurt and Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt vs. Regular Yogurt
When comparing plain nonfat yogurt to plain nonfat Greek yogurt, the plain Greek yogurt has more protein and less sugar with about the same number of calories. That sounds like a nutritional win to me!
Greek yogurt is strained more than regular yogurt giving Greek yogurt a thicker consistency. The extra straining removes some of the calcium from Greek yogurt, however both types of yogurt are still considered good sources of calcium.
Greek yogurt is also generally more expensive because more milk is required to produce it. I can currently get it at my local Aldi store for $3.49 for a 32 oz container making it only $0.11/oz. Of course prices can vary by region.
10 Ways to Enjoy Plain Greek Yogurt
- Mix with herbs and to create a dip for vegetables. You can create a homemade ranch dip by adding garlic powder, dill, onion powder, & parsley.
- Use on baked potatoes instead of sour cream. Or mash with boiled potatoes, milk, and garlic powder to make creamy garlic mashed potatoes.
- Add as a topping for taco dishes and chili instead of using sour cream.
- Use to make homemade pizza crust or make these yummy Pizza Pinwheels from Recipe Girl.
- Make a delicious broccoli salad that your kids might actually enjoy.
- Use in place of mayonnaise in this recipe: The Very Best Fish Recipe Ever from Living Well Spending Less.
- Use in place of mayonnaise and sour cream in casseroles. Try my tuna noodle casserole recipe with Greek yogurt..
- Make pumpkin pie flavored yogurt. This is a fun snack or side dish my kids love. Mix Greek yogurt with pure pumpkin puree, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, and honey.
- Replace all, or a portion, of the cream cheese with Greek yogurt in these Chicken Chimichangas from My Fridge Food.
- Add cocoa powder and either honey or maple syrup to make a delicious chocolatey yogurt that makes a good dip for fruit.
What is your favorite way to use plain Greek yogurt? Do you have a use that I haven’t listed above?
Did you know you can make your own homemade Greek yogurt? Check out my complete photo tutorial.