This healthy tuna noodle casserole recipe is an easy dinner idea that can be cooked, prepped and served in less than 1 hour. Since this tuna casserole recipe uses yogurt instead of mayonnaise or canned soups, this is a more healthy dinner idea for your family.
What do you do when dinner is supposed to be ready in an hour and you haven’t even thought about what to make?
This tuna casserole only takes 30 minutes to bake, and all the prep work can be done while the noodles are cooking on the stove.
And the best part is my whole family enjoys this recipe.
What makes this recipe healthier?
For the creamy base, I use yogurt to make this recipe healthier.
Other tuna noodle casserole recipes commonly use mayonnaise and canned soups for the creamy base. I eliminated those ingredients for a more healthy dinner option for my family.
I also use whole wheat pasta, frozen peas, and fresh mushrooms (if I have them on hand).
If you like to make your own yogurt, homemade yogurt works well in this recipe.
I also choose to shred my own cheese from 8 oz blocks that I normally buy at Aldi. It has been years since I have bought pre-shredded, bagged cheese that uses added fillers to keep the pieces separated.
This is a family-friendly recipe that my kids both gobble down, and then they ask for seconds! My youngest even did this when she was 2!
This tuna casserole is very customizable. You can adjust the seasonings to your liking. Use what you have on hand. I don’t always have fresh mushrooms on hand, so sometimes I will use canned mushrooms instead, or you can leave them out.
I prefer to use penne or rotini pasta, but last time I make this recipe, I had 4 partial boxes of pasta in different shapes, as I posted about on Instagram. And it still tasted delicious!
You can use regular or Greek yogurt; just make sure it is plain flavored. I like to use colby jack cheese, but other cheeses work will, including cheddar, mozzarella, and pepper jack, or a blend of flavors.
Printable Healthy Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe
You can print this recipe to include in your family recipe binder.
Healthy Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe
- 1 box whole wheat rotini or penne pasta (13.25 oz) cooked per instructions
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas (no need to thaw)
- 2 cans tuna (5 oz each) drained
- 2 cups shredded cheese (divided) I like using Colby Jack
- Cook pasta per instructions on box.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir yogurt and milk until smooth.
- Add in seasonings and mustard until blended.
- Stir in chopped mushrooms, peas, and drained tuna until mixed.
- Drain pasta and combine with the tuna mixture.
- Stir in 1 cup shredded cheese (reserve 1 cup for topping).
- Pour into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Top with remaining 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Nonskid stainless steel mixing bowl – I only have one bowl with non-skid rubber, but I use it all the time in my kitchen. It is my go-to mixing bowl.
- Pyrex 9 x 13 glass dish – This is the size dish I use most often in my kitchen, but you can get it in a set with other sizes too.
- Cheese grater – a cheese grater is probably my most used kitchen tool, whether I am shredding cheese, carrots, potatoes, or zucchini.
This recipe makes more than enough for two meals for my family of four. If you like spicy foods, this casserole tastes great topped with hot sauce. My husband and I both like to add hot sauce.
I hope you enjoy this family-friendly, healthy tuna noodle casserole.