Don’t let the winter blues get you down. Here are 10 small ways to refresh your home for the new year.
This past weekend we packed up the last of our indoor Christmas decorations. I love the Christmas season, but I also like seeing all that extra space in our living room where our Christmas tree once stood.
There is more room for family board games and space for the kids to do puzzles or play Legos. I love this time while the living room feels so open. Before we fill that openness with stuff that will make its home in our living room until we bring out the tree again for next Christmas.
I want to avoid going back to that same routine. I want to change things up and keep our living room and whole home feeling more open and inviting.
Fortunately, you can refresh your home for the new year without spending a ton of money.
10 Ways to Refresh Your Home for the New Year
- You can change the look of a room by just swapping out blankets and throw pillows. We have a ton of pillows and blankets, so it is easy to switch things up to signify the new year. (It is still winter, so I like to keep a pretty blanket nearby.) Don’t have room for lots of pillows? You could buy or make inexpensive pillow covers.
- Rearrange your furniture. You probably have to do a little of this anyway if you moved furniture to make room for a tree.
- Flowers breathe life into a dreary winter room, whether they are fresh or artificial. Changing from the evergreens of the holiday season to bright, colorful flowers will create a new ambiance.
- Change your coffee mug (or tea cup, or water glass). My husband uses the same coffee mug day after day, but when the seasons change he likes to change his coffee mug too.
- Start making space for the products that make you happy and help you stay healthy. For example, I’ve been slowly using up rags and old bottles of cleaner, and replacing them with better alternatives like the Grove microfiber cloths and Grove glass spray bottle.
- Declutter one thing every day. By the end of the year, you’ll have gotten rid of 365 things and you’ll have more space for living.
- Organize items into pretty baskets and storage containers so loose items have a home. I feel much more in control when I organize my home.
- Change scents. Use a different non-toxic candle or diffuse an essential oil blend.
- Open the curtains. Let as much light in as you can during the day. While you are at it, you can wash your curtains and move them to other windows to change things around.
- Avoid comparing. It’s easy to get caught up in comparisons like Her kitchen is always immaculate or I wish my living room looked like that — especially if you spend any time on social media. Be gentle with yourself and remember that you’re comparing your behind-the-scenes with someone else’s highlight reel.
Bonus tip: Order from Grove Collaborative
Grove Collaborative is an online store with healthier cleaning products for your home.
I have been using Grove for almost 3 years now. As a new customer, you can get a free Mrs. Meyer’s hand soap plus $10 off your first order by clicking the button below.
Try out these 10 small ways you can refresh your home for the new year.